• January 25, 2017

How to Become a Representative Payee

How to Become a Representative Payee

How to Become a Representative Payee 1024 681 Patrick J. Thomas Agency

Applying to become a representative payee is an easy process no matter which state you live in. There are a few applications to fill out and laws to follow, but the process can be completed as long as you know what forms to complete and where to send them.

What is a Representative Payee?

A representative payee is a person or organization who is appointed to be the recipient of certain benefits for a person who is not of sound mind and/or body to manage their financial affairs.

Representative payees can be designated by either the Social Security administration (SSA) or the Veteran’s Administration (VA). The main duties of a representative payee include:

  • Using received benefits to pay for the needs of a beneficiary
  • Properly saving benefits that are not needed for the daily needs of the beneficiary
  • Keeping a proper record of all expenses and expenditures
  • Filling out Representative Payee reports for review by the SSA or VA agencies

All representative payees should keep the following records on file:

  • Bank statements
  • Benefits received
  • Cancelled Checks
  • Receipts for rent, daily expenses, etc.
  • Any other financial records or savings

These records should be kept for several years after the representative payee form has been completed.

How to Become a Representative Payee

A person or organization can become a representative payee of SSA by completing the Representative Payee Accounting Report online. A person must be 18 years or older in order to apply online. If you are under 18, a paper form must be completed.

In order to apply to be a representative payee for VA, you must apply using the VA website. A request must be submitted with the beneficiary‘s name and VA file number.

How to Get a Representative Payee Bond

A person or organization who wishes to become a representative payee must obtain a representative payee surety bond. This is required by the SSA and the federal government. At the Patrick J. Thomas Agency, we have a fast, simple and secure process for procuring bonds for representative payees.

To start your application for a surety bond, contact us and we will have an agent get in touch with you shortly.


Disclaimer: this article is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. If you need legal counsel, please contact an attorney directly.