• August 29, 2018

3 Forms All MN Guardians Must File Every Year

3 Forms All MN Guardians Must File Every Year

3 Forms All MN Guardians Must File Every Year 1024 682 Patrick J. Thomas Agency

All guardians in Minnesota are required by the courts to submit certain reports and/or forms every year, or as requested by the judge overseeing their case. In order to maintain compliance and fulfill your duties as a guardian, it’s essential to be familiar with these forms, how you must fill them out, what must be included with them and why you must submit them.

The following is a brief outline of the forms you must file each year. Keep in mind that the court can change these forms, so always make sure you are using the most up-to-date form in your state. If you have additional questions regarding these forms, contact the courts or consult with your attorney.

Personal Well-being Report

As required by Minn. Stat. § 524.5-316, all guardians must submit a Personal Well-being Report that outlines the “Mental,” “Physical” and “Social” condition of the ward or protected person. The report also includes supplementary information that includes:

  • Medical, educational or vocational services provided in the past year
  • How many times you have seen the protected person in the past year
  • How much you, the guardian, has received as reimbursement for fulfilling their duties

This report must be filed within thirty days after the anniversary of the appointment of the guardian, or as instructed by the court.

You can find and download the form here.

Annual Notice of Rights

It is the right of the protected person to be notified of their rights at least once per year by the person acting as their guardian. The Annual Notice of Rights notifies the protected person of their rights under the agreement of the guardianship. Among these rights is allowing the protected person to petition the court to modify the guardianship in ways that better serve their interests.

You can find and download the form here.

Affidavit of Service

Finally, all guardians must submit an Affidavit of Service. This simple form certifies that you, the guardian, have filed both the Personal Well-being Report and the Annual Notice of Rights and given copies to the protected person.

You can find and download the form here. 

Before You Begin Your Guardianship, Secure a Bond

If you have been asked to serve as a guardian to a family member or friend, keep in mind that the court may, and likely will, require a surety bond to be secured before you begin serving. These bonds can be complicated but are easy to get if you work with a surety bond agent in your area. Contact The Patrick J. Thomas Agency to obtain a guardianship surety bond for your case today.


Disclaimer: this is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. If you need legal counsel, please contact an attorney directly.